Skip to main content

Olympos Haywards Heath (formerly Dolphin Leisure Centre)

Score: ۞۞۞۞۞
Cost: £3.30
Distance: 50 miles (by train)
Website: http://www.olymposcentres.co.uk/index.php?s=sports&c=Swimming
Locker: 007

I was picking up DW from Tia Suzie so hurriedly searched on the net and this cool swimming pool in Haywards Heath. Big bright and clean leisure centre. Eerily quiet. It was about 1.30pm so I guess Hayward Heaths' finest were busy polishing glasses and waiting on roast beef dinners.

Was feeling a bit wretched after a big night on Friday so approached this swim with a lot of trepidation. Pool was empty apart from a couple of casual swimmers one of whom was doing front crawl with me at the end so I guess that makes me pretty casual. As usual struggled through the first 10 or so lengths, wondered what the hell I was doing but gained a bit of rhythm and more importantly buoyancy. Managed fifty lengths. Felt very pleased, even astounded with myself.

Think I left another locker pound on the side by mistake. My contribution to the Hayward Heath cause. Would definitely swim here if I lived within fifteen miles.

Dined on a Sainsbury's ploughman's sandwich washed down with a bottle of Irn-bru. Sometimes you deserve such gastronomic treats. Met DW and Suzie at the station and high-tailed it back to London.

Been reading 'The Sea, The Sea' by Iris Murdoch.

Triathlon sprint in three weeks.