Skip to main content

Ware Priory Lido

It's bank holiday Monday folks. GF and I have just completed a stunning cycle ride from Tottenham Marshes to Ware in Hertfordshire. Ware? Where indeed. Here's a map of our route along the tow path of the River Lea. Boiling hot day, no hills.


View Larger Map

I'm sure there are untold opportunities for a 'wild swim' on the way, but I'm going for for the oblong, chlorinated swim, Hertfordshire style.


Ware Priory Lido, built in 1934. Sort of heated, 21 degrees today apparently, the locals complain of the cold and even suggest it feels like 15 degrees, they've gone soft in Hertfordshire. Anyway, one amazingly rubbish dive and I hit the cool, clear refreshing water. I swim a few lengths feeling like Ned Merrill (The Swimmer) in someone else's pool. Very, very lovely, I am refreshed.

The water in the showers is more like 15 degrees, way too cold, can't summon the energy to complain. Dry off and cycle back to the station and return to London.

Perfect day. Thank you.