Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond


Water temp: 12.1 degrees, apparently

Saturday morning dip. It's a beautiful morning, it's always lovely over Hampstead Heath on a Saturday morning.

There's quite a few people here, but I'm on my own and need some cold water moral support.I slunk across the jetty, braver souls than I dive in. 'Luxury' shouts one gentleman as he treats himself to the opaque cold water. I slowly lower myself in the water, quickly hoist myself up again, make a few adjustments to my swimming shorts and lower myself in again. The nearest buoy is far enough for me today, the cut on my finger I never knew I had is aching like mad. I consider swimming further but I'm really glad when I'm in gasping reach of the steps. 'You weren't in long' comments a lean, muscled torso. 'I have nothing to prove' I replied. 'Tis true.

The Swimmer again next Saturday. Should be good.