Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond


Water temp: 7 degrees

Wow. What a beautiful morning, what a cold morning. As per, I don't remember making any concious decisions which led me to the men's pond, I just seem to have turned up here with my trunks and swimming hat. My right leg just seems to be lowering itself in to some dark, cold pond water. It's not that cold you know, definitely swimmable. Round the farthest buoy and around the dark side of the jetty we go, I'm not in for more than two or three minutes, I'm sure this could be quite enjoyable once you acclimatise yourself. I stand gasping and glistening in the morning sunshine. First swim of December.

I bump in to Paul the dustman doing his rounds with his happy crew on Millfield Lane. I've not seen his smiling face since he got married and moved to Brighton. It's great to see him. He removes his glove and shakes my hand, he's a gentleman is Paul, there's no 'appier bloke. Isn't it good luck to shake hands with a dustman? "Good luck will rub off, when I shake 'ands with you". Maybe that's a chimney sweep.

Corbliminal, is that the time? I'll be late for work.