Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond

Poem by John Mathews pinned to the noticeboard
Water temp: 18 degrees

The first mutterings of summer are heralded by lots of skinny men in skimpy swimwear outside the men's pond. Someone has teefed my favourite spot to park my bike. I will admit that part me growls 'Where were you in January?'. But hey ho, we're all welcome here (apart from the racists and the sexists)

I sit for ages in a trance watching lycra clad images of yesterday's triathlon whizz round my adrenaline fuelled brain. A group of youts arrive, shorts hanging half-mast round their backsides. This amuses me.

I finally get my act together and hurl myself off the springboard. I swim a couple of lazy laps. I have nothing to prove and nothing to train for today.

The buff youts turn up on the jetty. They can't wear their swimming shorts halfway down their bums cos they'd have bare arses and that's bare shame and inadvisable considering the reputation this place has. They spend ages trying to get in the water 'cos it's 'bare cold bruv'. You aint so hench are you now boys. Good kids. Bless 'em. I bet their mothers love them.