Skip to main content

Hitchin Lido


It’s Sunday morning and I’m feeling adventurous and full of energy. 

My son and I are the new owners of this Giant road bike. It’s about time the bike and I became acquainted. Every journey or adventure should involve a swim so I head north to Hitchin Lido which is 32 north of my place. Bikes are a bit of a sore point with me at the moment, the day after I bought The Giant I had my beloved Dawes Super Galaxy stolen.


Hitchin Lido is beautiful:
“In 1938, the outdoor pool was opened. This pool still exists today alongside a modern eight-lane indoor pool opened in 1991. Situated in a park setting, it is a 50m outdoor heated pool (summer only) with sunbathing terrace, as well as a 25m indoor pool with separate learner pool. TSS writes: "Brick built with green glazed tile roofs. Fine fountain and rose pergola.”
I hide out of the glare of the midday sun and watch the kids and families play in the water. There are also two wide, underused lanes for 'serious' swimmers. Eventually I get it together and dive in to the tropically warm water. No gasp, no fun. I feel lethargic and and end up doing a mere 17 lengths. Well, I have to save some energy for the journey home.

I spend an hour or slumped on a plastic chair soaking up what is left of the hazy Hertfordshire Sunday afternoon sunshine. I idly contemplate moving to Hitchin for the summer months and console myself with a Mars Bar. Well, I need some energy for the journey home.