Skip to main content

Parliament Hill Fields Lido


Water temp: 20 degrees

Late afternoon swim. OK, so it's a bit overcast but the water is lovely and The Lido is virtually empty. I spend ages sitting on my second favourite bench mesmerised by the steeley blue water. A group of lads are being really annoying, they're not really doing anything wrong, they're just annoying. The lifeguards must have had enough as a lone policewoman turns up and asks them to leave. Presumably there is a Hampstead Heath by-law against being plain old annoying.

Now the lads have left I think about swimming and gaze some more at the water. Eventually I find myself diving in to the pool all hatted and goggled, I don't even remember getting changed. The water feels cool today. I set my mind on swimming 28 lengths, a mile, but after three lengths I find myself bored and distracted. I quickly remind myself that I have a full-on triathlon in 11 days and swim strongly and resolutely.