Skip to main content

Prince of Wales, Kentish Town


Blue Monday. I find myself in Kentish Town on Monday at 6.30pm. Whilst being in Kentish Town is nothing new, 'tis uncommon because I don't usually leave the house on Mondays, the joy of working from home.

But anyway. I'm hoping the spell of shite weather is putting of punters from leaving the house and visiting the pool. I pull open the heavy door to reveal the horrors of the flesh mob before me. Pool is heaving. Must be thirty odd people. I will have to fight off the weak urge to turn around and go home.

Through some questionable tactics and good timing I have completed 56 lengths. The pool has emptied out quite a bit. There is a lesson to be learned here, stay away on Mondays at 6:30pm.

It's nearly May. It's the Lido summer season next weekend. It's been a long, cold, lonely winter. Well, it hasn't really, but it feels like years since it's been here. I'm still reading 'Waterlog'. Roger Deakin, he swam at the Lido, more to follow...