Skip to main content

Figheldean Mill Pond


Roasting hot day in London, about 31 degrees. I'm on my Vespa burning down the A303 towards Somerset. Thanks to the Outdoor Swimming Society I've found myself an outddor swimming hole to cool off in.

Apparently 'Figheldean Mill Pond is first mentioned in the Domesday Book, and there was a mill here right up until the late 1950s when it was demolished.' Sounds perfect.

Anyway, after driving round in circles for a bit I found the sacred spot. Amazing, sun was setting behind the trees. I swam out in to the cold pond, it's much cooler than the men's pond. The flow of the river pushed me back, I didn't fight against it. Splashed about and ducked my head in a few times. I heard my veggie sausages rolls calling me from the bank, washed them down with some Irn Bru, I felt rejuvenated.

Rolled on through Wiltshire towards Somerset.