Skip to main content

Parliament Hill Lido


Sunday afternooningtons, arrived at 4pm, sky a little overcast, the big yonder black cloud spelled rain.

Surprise, surprise, I spot my sister arriving, at least I think it's her. She always gets in at the shallow end, I wave from my vantage point at the benches near the deep end, she doesn't wave back. I walk over to the pool edge and wave some more realising that it's not her and I'm waving at a bikini clad stranger. Eventually she realises that her brother is waving at her and she waves back.

Oh joy of joys, we swim together, she alternates between front-crawl, breaststroke and backstroke. The rains starts to spitter spatter, we laugh like children, it reminds of Sundays long ago, days out with Mum and Dad, playgrounds in the snow, last swim, last ones in the Lido. The sun comes out, we have the whole sparkly pool to ourselves, we glide up and down our personal oasis, it belongs to us.

My sister only ever does 20 lengths, she leaves me for other duties. I'm joined by a few more lucky swimmers and I complete a beautiful mile. Best swim of 2012 maybe. Thanks Sis.