Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond

I'm cream crackered. I've been cycling, running, meeting, working all day.

Thankfully it's a gorgeous evening and I've got the ponds to visit on the way home. The sign in the changing room says water temperature is 15 degrees, that's two better than 13. I'm sat on a wooden bench too tired to get changed, let alone swim. I listen to all the chatter and all the blah, I never join in. I can't move, must have run too far, I never lose any weight, five more minutes. Enter lifeguard stage right, he only goes and changes the temperature on the blackboard from 15 to 17 degrees. Result. I'm glad I waited, the change gives me the energy to stumble in to action.

Lovely evening swim, I was in a world of my own making. I can't remember seeing another swimmer. Two laps and three dives. Water is absolutely perfect, although I do miss the tingle you get with cold water, and the numb fingers, not.

Got that Daft Punk tune going round and round in my head.

Welcome back José, we missed you.