Skip to main content

The Swimmer, Cambridge

Synopsis

A short run through the city to Jesus Green Lido, then a 4 to 5 mile trot to the world famous Orchard Green Tea Rooms. Quick break for tea, cake and a spot of poetry reading, followed by a 2K swim back to Grantchester Meadows and the chance to recline by the river.


Critical reaction

OK, it didn't quite happen like that, I was late, Jesus Green Lido was closed, but the rest of the day was great. The 2Kswim up the Cam was probably my best swim of 2013. However, swimming anywhere near a swan freaks me out, I managed to sneak pass 'before the indifferent beak', I anticipated 'a sudden blow: the great wings beating still', but I swam on unabused down the winding river. I recalled halcyon days of night punting back from Granchester. We even spied a kingfisher. Talking of Kingfishers @Kingwellfish recounts the day on her blog: entirelysurroundedbywater.blogspot.co.uk

 

Famous quotes

Quote of the day, sitting in Granchester: 'This is where Rupert Brooke and Virginia Woolf used to hang out with the Bermondsey Set'.

Bloody Virginia Woolf, you can't set foot in a river without hearing her name.

Credit where credit's due

Fantastic day, thanks to the organisers. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Credit cookie

Who knew there was a drive-thru Krispy Kreme Doughnuts in Enfield? My arse wobbles at the thought.