Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond


Hot town, summer in the city
Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
Been down, isn't it a pity
Doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city

After a hard day's painting and varnishing, DW and I thought we'd try and squeeze in to the Lido. Unfortunately 3000 other people had the same idea before us, we couldn't get in. Undeterred we headed to the men's pond. We were greeted by this teeming fleshpot. No way were we joining this sweaty queue, so we decided to go home. Luckily, the back gate was open and we saw people swimming from the banks, we decided to join them. We soon realised there were women swimming in the men's pond, you're welcome. I bet we wouldn't be welcome in their pond. A female friend told me recently that she reported a man sunbathing at the Ladies Pond but was horrified when the lifeguard assured her it was a woman.

Despite the chaos we had a good swim. The crowds on the banks cheered every dive and bellyflop, I did feel a little nervous when it was my turn on the springboard, DW assured me that I performed a perfectly adequate dive, high praise indeed.

Afterwards we sat and munched ice creams and watched people swimming in the boating late. It was very hot, very crowded and pretty noisy but we enjoyed ourselves. Eventually the Heath constabulary turned up and tried to restore some order.