Skip to main content

River Thames nr Sonning

River Thames nr Sonning

Day out in sunny Berkshire with Lola


We followed the towpath down from Sonning and found this great spot to make camp by the river Thames. The occasional boat/launch/canoe/yacht chuddered past, we waved at each and every one of them. I don't do the jealousy thing, my life is full of equal riches.

We dined on croissants, apricots, strawberries and grapes as the river flowed lazily by. When the afternoon sun got unbearably hot we ventured in to the cool water. We paddled up and down and had a mid-stream talk with a solo canoeist. I half expected David Walliams to come round the bend in the river at any moment. I felt like a proper wild swimmer, a small dot in the great watery expanse.

A final afternoon swim was prohibited by this solo swan. Every time I put my toes in the water he/she would speed effortlessly over to investigate the strange creature in the river. No way was I going to ask if I could share their river and I wasn't going to get an invite.

Happy days.