Skip to main content

Agde, South of France



I'm in the South of France. I've not been in this part of the world for years and years, not since the fresh-faced days of rucksacks and Interail cards with Emily.

So, first leg of my European tour starts here...

Mango's

My poor leg feels stiff after a couple of days of recuperation, but I'm mobile enough to play frisbee on the beach. Wahay, I'm playing Frisbee on the beach in the South of France with my son and some friends, life is good.

I've had a great pre-lunch swim in the Med, Suzanne our hostess has taken me to a sea-front  gaff called Mango's, I wonder who Mango is or hope that his food is better than his grammar. Mango's is frequented by white middle-class dudes and dudettes pretending to be a bit crusty Europeans. They gorge themselves on overpriced tapas and tap their toes to the delights of Manu Chau. Who am I to criticise as I gorge myself on overpriced tapas. I never did get the Manu Chau thing tho', I'm sure he was really cool once upon a time.

I didn't get to meet Mango.

Natural pool


Next stop on my European tour is this natural pool built by a friend of my host. It didn't take long for me to strip off and dive-in after I arrived. The water is silky, warm and very fresh after this evening's downpour. Apparently the water feeds all the plants in this garden which is then in turn oxygenated. I feel like Roger Deakin in his moat and try and work out if I could build something similar in my garden at home. I stay in the water for over half an hour. One of the best pools I've ever had the privilege to swim in.

I make the most of my host's hospitality as I drink a glass of rosé before heading back to Suzanne's.

Suzanne's


The next day. Our hostess works in the office of a plush resort near the sea. She's invited me over to sample the early morning delights of the 40m resort pool. I feel empowered as I punch in the access code which lets me through the gate in to the complex. The almost empty pool is overlooked by a swish breakfast bar which serves fresh orange juice and baskets of croissants and French bread, interailing was never like this when I was a lad.

It's time for a swimming spectacular. I set myself a target of 46 lengths as begin to cruise effortlessly through the crystal clear blue water. I'm joined by the occasional white European lady, the type that swims in sunglasses and doesn't get her hair wet. I dry off underneath the hot morning Mediterranean sun before catching a bus back to town to wake my son with orange juice and chocolate croissants.

Campsite

Now then, as fate has decreed, my sister is also on holiday in the South of France, only a 20 minutes walk away from Suzanne's. She's staying on a great little campsite which has two swimming pools and some wicked slides. We spend the day playing with nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts brother-in-laws cousins and new acquaintances. The pools are cool, sparkly and clean. Lots cool European teenagers hang around the bar and An aqua aerobics session gets the mums off their sunbeds. We get invited for dinner, eat and drink loads before walking home late under a beautiful star-filled sky. Happy days.

More European adventures shortly...