Skip to main content

La Piscina Corduentes, Spain

I've met up with an old amigo deep in the heart of Spain, Don Quixote country. Hot and dry. According to local legend there's a swimming pool a few villages away. As far as I can make out from the Spanish banter in the bar, the water is cold, but that could be the beer. Uno mas por favor.

The next morning is adorned with a beautiful blue, cloudless sky. This day could only be improved with an adventure and a swim. Mapless and clueless but with the aid of my faithful companion Sanchita, this errant swimmer sets out on his quest. After many twists and turns and field upon field of sunflowers, we come to the historic village of Corduentes. The village is resplendent with ancient hombres passing the time of day. I asked one of the Spanish gentlemen the direction to La Piscina, he points vaguely with his stick in the direction of the only road out of town. Eventually we spy a concrete high diving board towering over yet another field of sunflowers. We have arrived at La Piscina Corduentes.


La Piscina Corduentes is a beautiful 23m pool set on a hillside surrounded be weeping willows and grassland. There is even even a bar/restaurant near the entrance. I am the first one in the water today, I am the La Solidad de Nadador de Larga Distancia for the first 25 lengths. I manage to swim 50 before the smallish crowds arrive.

I sit and soak in my surroundings as my companion reads me a quote from a Spanish magazine, 'El Pais Semanal', which says something like: 'There does not exist a more complete image of solitude than an empty swimming pool or of somebody who swims completely on his own or that of the protagonist of the beautiful storm.' Now, in this this quote has been attributed to John Cheever's short story 'The Swimmer'. I can't find this quote in the story, however, this has gone from English to Spanish and back to English, lost in translation.

This is one of the best public swimming pools I have ever had the pleasure to swim in. I have swum in lots. I took loads of photos which hopefully does the place some justice. Unfortunately, the diving board is no longer in use, maybe one of the ancient hombres has tales of a well-spent high diving youth.

I realise I've lost a ring. Luckily a lady found my ring at the bottom of the pool and handed it in behind the bar.