Skip to main content

The Swimmer Thames Special

Colin the lock keeper
At 7am on an overcast and drizzly Saturday morning I left the warmth, security and relative sanity of my bed to go swimming in The Thames, Shiplake to Henley-Upon-Thames to be precise.

I met up with fellow swimmers Liz, Clare and Jonathon on the train at Paddington. We started at Shiplake Lock in Oxfordshire and gently swam our merry way down the river towards Henley, stopping for the occasional breather and chance to gaze in awe at the riverside houses. We ended up completing an epic 3.5K swim. Not much running today.

I got to take my Chill Swim (inflatable) dry bag on her maiden voyage. The bag worked a treat, only wish I had bought a slightly larger one or taken slightly less stuff.

Great breakfast in Henley-Upon-Thames. We had some time to kill before catching the train home so we visited Dusty Springfield's grave. Here's Dusty singing "The Water is Wide', seems appropriate enough.