Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond



Ever since I woke up I've been thinking about my anointed dip in the Men's Pond. I guess I must have decided last night that I would swim this morning. I'm doing The Swimmer again tomorrow and I should be mentally prepared.

Despite the lingering darkness of the morning and the frost on the ground I remain resolved. I think of nothing else other than my aquatic appointment. I'm a bit nervous. I'm a crap cold water swimmer really. I'm not even sure why I do it. I guess it's like whisky, it's not the taste it's the effect. I never drink whisky, well sometimes perhaps, I don't recall.

Anyway, I'm on my bike heading for The Heath. The wintery sun has come out to cheer me on. I watch the commuters herd each other in to the tube station, Not one of them will be thinking about swimming outdoors on Hampstead Heath today. I like that, I am unique, I am free. I'm not thinking about anything else other than swimming outdoors on this beautiful morning.

There are a few swimmers in the changing rooms. They all say good morning, I like that. The board says five degrees. I don't believe a digit of it. As long as I've still got five toes on each foot when I've finished.


Now, where is GB when you need him? I need his infectious laughter and encouragement. Standing alone on the jetty I am the sole protagonist in the Loneliness Of The Cold Water Swimmer. I've got this far. A feeble, lonely, distant voice tells me it's OK to turn back. The cold, opaque water feels surprisingly pleasant round my ankles then calves as I lower myself in. All thoughts are banished as I swim to the perimeter rope. I feel alive, I feel extremely happy.

With all fingers and toes intact, if slightly numb, I pedal of to the warmth of my King's Cross office. I'll keep this one a secret from my colleagues, I guess we're not thinking the same thing this morning.