Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond

Highgate Ponds - The Swimmer
Water temp: 4 degrees

I'm working in Gospel Oak again this week. I feel at home round here, probably 'cos I was born and schooled not a few lengths away.

It's a lovely afternoon. I usually go for a run round The Heath at lunchtime when I'm working in these parts. I've had an inspired idea, I'm going to go for a run, swim, run - a Skimpy Swimmer.

The 'changing room' is empty. The board says four degrees. I spend a few moments talking to Terry Lifeguard. He realises my delaying tactic and says, 'Get in, you're never in that long'. It's time to venture a little further across the pond. I descend the steps in to the sunny waters and swim an unhurried combination of breaststroke and crawl until I reach the furthest point from the jetty. I'm in no rush to get back to the steps and enjoy the cold biting water snapping against my arms. It's great to be alive.

'You swam well today' says Terry as I walk steaming and glistening red passed the lifeguards' hut.

I find Dan Lifeguard chatting with the Highgate Lifebuoys. We talk for a few minutes before I continue my run in the direction of Kenwood, soggy swimming trunks in my shorts' pocket, big smile on my face.

Someone has posted an extract of Blake's Jerusalem on the notice board:

THE FIELDS from Islington to Marybone,   
  To Primrose Hill and Saint John’s Wood,   
Were builded over with pillars of gold;   
  And there Jerusalem’s pillars stood.   

Her Little Ones ran on the fields,
  The Lamb of God among them seen,   
And fair Jerusalem, His Bride,   
  Among the little meadows green.   

Pancras and Kentish Town repose   
  Among her golden pillars high, 
Among her golden arches which   
  Shine upon the starry sky.   

The Jew’s-harp House and the Green Man,   
  The Ponds where boys to bathe delight,   
The fields of cows by William’s farm,
  Shine in Jerusalem’s pleasant sight.