Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond





Water temp: 4 degrees

It's another beautiful Saturday morning on Hampstead Heath and another Parkrun under my generous belt.

GB is busy being a run director so I head off for adventures with Dan and James from The Swimmer. There are a lot of people milling about the changing rooms as it's Ladies' Day at The Men's Pond.

My hands are already numb from walking gloveless across The Heath. Dan is in first, speeding off to the perimeter rope and he's back before I've had time to put on my swimming cap. Without any time to reflect on what I'm doing, I'm in the water heading towards the rope, my poor hands aching in the cold water. I'm struggling to find a stroke, the jetty looks miles away. However, I'm enjoying the beautiful surroundings and I'm disappointed when I reach the jetty where I'm greeted by the all-smiling Dan.

Despite my numb fingers I quickly change and help myself to corporation croissants and a slab of marble cake.

I watch the ladies gracefully descend the steps in to the water. "They don't feel the cold like we do" a lifeguard informs me. I guess after childbirth the cold ponds must feel like a swim in the park.

A fantastic start to a wonderful day.