Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond

Spring blossom
It's another beautiful Saturday morning on Hampstead Heath and I've just smashed my Parkrun personal best. There's almost a crowd of us this morning making our way down the hill towards the Men's Pond. Even the fact that I've forgotten my swimming trunks cannot dampen my spirits.

A fellow swimmer remarks, 'I don't know how you do it', as one-by-one we hurl ourselves off the springboard in to the shiny green water. One-by-one we rise to the surface whooping with joy, or is it relief? This cold water really is euphoric stuff you know. 

The photographer bloke is back, he takes a group shot of me and my compaƱeros.

I head off on my bike to The Owl Bookshop in Kentish Town to return an unwanted birthday present. This really is the most perfect start to the day. I return home for the ultimate belated birthday present, watching Chelsea put six past Arsenal.