Skip to main content

Men's Pond/Lido

It's another lovely spring day. According to Google spring starts today, I always thought it started tomorrow. Whatever, it's not raining, it's my birthday and I have the day off work.

My first port of call is The Lido. All good and wonderful apart from the missing wall which was blown down in the storm. I leave my bike and jacket and head off for a birthday run.

I start with a quickish jog up Kite Hill. My belly feels all blown-out and doughy, maybe it was a bit greedy to have that third slice of birthday panettone and Marmite. If you've never tried panettone and Marmite why ever not? Best with butter even though I don't really like butter.

Panettone with Marmite
Second port of call, The Men's Pond. I receive a big warm birthday welcome from Mr. D the Lifeguard Man. The pond is completely empty apart from a few ducks and a huge cormorant who stares straight at me as I saunter across the springboard. He/she reminds me of Batman. I execute a perfect birthday dive in to the water, the cormorant nods approvingly. Have I mentioned that it's my birthday today? It's lovely and warmish in the pond, I swim for five minutes. Soon I'm off on my merry way up to Kenwood, across the Red Arches and back down to The Lido.

Cormorant

The Lido. Ten degrees. Deserted. Sorted. I set myself an ambitious target of 10 lengths and reduce that to five before my fingers have even entered the water. I end swimming up two very enjoyable birthday lengths. Nice hot shower before heading up to the San Siro for birthday lunch with me pals.

Did I mention it's my birthday today?