Skip to main content

Highgate Men's Pond








Water temp: 13 degrees

I miss all the ladies this morning but manage to salvage the last croissant from the bottom of the unisex box. I volunteered at Parkrun this morning, split timer, it was was fun shouting times at people as they ran past.

I mess about with the Spanish bloke, he won't get in, keeps dipping his feet in the water then shrieking and yelling. I call him a 'big girl's blouse' in his mother tongue. He looks at me bewilderedly and replies: "I'm a large lady shirt?" I shrug wondering what 'lost in translation' is in Spanish. Time to give up and go swimming before I cause a diplomatic incident.

The water has been 13 degrees for ages, months even, I don't believe a digit of it. Quick paddle in the pond, feels cold and makes my joints ache.  My shoulder hurts when I swim front crawl. I'm due to do a relay race at Brockwell Lido in a few weeks, I'd better get my act together.