Skip to main content

Walmer Beach



A surprise visit to see my Mum on her birthday. Obviously a post lunch swim in the sea is on the birthday cards.

It's a fantastic afternoon, the sun is slowly setting behind Walmer beach. The sea is silvery blue and enticing. I waste no time and slip in to the English Channel, the water isn't exactly cold considering it's the last day of October. I swim far enough so I can see my Mum and step-dad who wave at me, silhouetted on the top of the steep pebbly bank.

As I cycle out of Charing Cross Station on my way home I catch the tail end of Critical Mass, I've not been on one those in years, it's Halloween, what the hell. I soon find myself peddling round Piccadilly and up Regent Street flanked by ghoulish skateboarders and cyclists wrapped in tinfoil. Tourists smile and cheer, cabbies look bemused, London innit. As the procession turns left up Oxford Street I carry on north. It was great, as fun as the original Critical Masses, but less aggressive.