Skip to main content

Walmer Beach

Normally in this situation I'd feel like I'm in a 60s film. The late summer sun rises above the West End as I dash across the narrow London streets, barely looking out for cars and taxis. I run out in to the Strand and past The Savoy and Simpson's in the direction of Trafalgar Square, dodging half 'a dozen tourists and some loved-up ravers. A beautiful girl is hot in my pursuit.

I'm hot, thirsty and I'm running late for a train that won't wait for me. I'm going to see my Mum in Walmer, I can't miss this train. I feel rubbish, my head is pounding. I had my first drink in weeks last night, the first since Bell's Palsy, I forget how many, I don't remember the last drink of the night, it probably wasn't that long ago.

GF and I slump in to our seats on the train, panting and sweating, we made it with moments to spare. I managed to grab a really expensive fizzy drink in the station, it will sort me out. I glug it down. Oh the horror, I've only gone and picked up a Vanilla Coke by mistake, the bastards, it tastes cheap and nasty, I drink it all. I have two hours to recover before seeing my Mum.

Walmer beach


Kent, The garden of England they say. I feel cold and still a bit sick. Why do I do this I ask myself as I shuffle across the pebble beach and down to the sea. The sea is warm and inviting and I'm soon paddling around. You can see France clearly in the distance, it looks close enough to swim to, there and back by lunch time, no problem.

I feel alive again.

Apparently this is actually a sandy beach, the pebbles have been added as a defence against the sea. That's a lot of pebbles, probably didn't get them from the Garden Centre of England.