Skip to main content

Parliament Hill Lido


Water temp: 14 degrees

How cold is it this morning? According to the Lido thermometer it's nine out and 14 in. I usually get changed poolside but it's so cold that I seek shelter from the wind and huddle in a changing room cubicle. I am reviewing the situation. I spend ages reviewing the situation from the warmth and security of my cubicle. It's a bit late to reconsider, probably too late to reconsider as I lower myself down the ladder in to the comparative warmth of the pool. What happened between the changing the rooms and the pool is anybody's guess, I don't recall making any conscious decisions

Whatever, the water is not as cold as I feared, it's actually very nice, not balmy tropical but definitely swimmable. There's not many people around this morning, but people say hello to each other, I guess it's a collective mental state thing, we are driven by unconscious psychic forces. I set myself a target of five lengths, why five? I always do even numbers. I unwittingly swim 10.

I spend a long time in the shower in an attempt to revive my almost unconscious feet, I must buy some winter flip-flops.